Friday, November 14, 2014

An Open Letter from the Galleria to all of Houston and to METRO in particular

Dear METRO and all who use METRO's services:

You probably think this is from the staff and management of the Galleria shopping mall.  Wrong.  This missive is from me...to you: the agency and frustrated bus rider who heading eastbound on Westheimer hits Yorktown from about mid-November until the first week of January...taking about an hour to get from Yorktown to Mid street.  Ditto for westbound from Mid to Yorktown...

I am the myriad of factors that laugh at METRO's Reimagining.  Greater frequency of bus service means a greater clump of buses getting caught at the West Loop.  Nothing more.  Sure, your bus service will run better than ever before the rest of the year, but during the holidays, you're my b*#(%, bus schedules, at which I laugh and throw away.

Frequent Network?  Feh.  BRT on Post Oak?  Bwahahahaha!!  Why do you guys bother to have bus schedules in effect on the Westheimer corridor from turkey day to New Year's Eve?  It is pointless.  Life is pointless.

I am the sclerotic car-centric culture of the 1960s Loop 610.  I am the 'special sauce' that attracts every SUV, maddened shopper, and kid wanting to get on the ice rink.  I am the TxDoT that heretofore has been completely obsessed with the car, the car, and the car.  I am the needless bus stops at McCue & at Alabama (eastbound).  I am lights that are not timed properly.  I am the West Loop.  I am Neiman-Marcus and all the other stores that attract traffic.

And I delight in your chaos.  I revel in ten buses in a row going eastbound clumped all together at a standstill.  I wallow in the futility.  I bathe in your angst.  And I want you to shop at the Galleria!

Christof Spieler, O Valiant One whose magnum opus, Reimagining, really will make the lives of at least half-a-million souls better, your efforts in my domain at Christmastime are in vain.  The things I throw in METRO's direction near the turn of each year are far beyond the agency's control.

There is but one solution: tear down the Galleria to its foundations and turn that land into a dump.  That'll get traffic moving again - to get away from the ugliness!!

Seriously, though, the solutions to this mess will involve a few kings' ransoms and will involve nothing less than elevating the Loop at Alabama and allowing buses to go through there, making that section of the street a bus-only portion of the roadway.  There will always be traffic at the Galleria, but the way for buses can and must be made easier.

Only then shall I be neutralized and your bus-riding Christmas made sane.

Sincerely,


No comments:

Post a Comment