Wednesday, May 28, 2014

1 June 2014 METRO Service Changes and 'overtake'

It's times like this I sorely regret having not saved over the decade and a half I've been riding the bus all the printed service changes leaflets and old bus schedules.  But I'm pretty sure I am correct in surmising that in the past few years, METRO has gone out of its way to do more to tweak our present network whenever possible more than previous leadership regimes.

The service changes effective at the first of next month are no exception.

These service changes are typical of the 'New METRO': nothing but improvements.  In the past few years, discontinuations of bus service have been rare.  And look at these changes this time 'round: additions of trips, moving of trip times to make things more-reliable and to ease overcrowding.

But this particular time, we have something epic...

402 Bellaire Quickline – Implement new midday service.
Route would operate with a 15 minute frequency between 5:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Yes, my friends, this is a foretaste of the full implementation of System Re-imagining (so long as public pressure does not emasculate METRO's plans).  Look at that frequent service!!  Yes, it's only on weekdays and yes (and most-unfortunately), it does not run late at all, but what we now have is a true piece of our bus network: a route people can use to great effect throughout the day on weekdays.

'Overtake'.

I am at Bellaire @ Ranchester.  I want to get to Bellaire @ Buffalo Speedway.

I have two choices: take the current 2 Bellaire with the full panoply of bus stops to delay your trip, or take the current 402 Bellaire Quickline from the Ranchester stop and get off at the Brompton stop.  Or I can get off the bus at Stella Link and, yes, wait and catch the regular 2 Bellaire to get me the rest of the way to Buffalo Speedway.

Of course, I would get off at Brompton, but even if I get off at Stella Link, I could still walk to Buffalo Speedway and with our current network, by walking beat the 2 Bellaire eastbound bus to Buffalo Speedway!

And most-likely during my Quickline trip, I will pass one or more 2 Bellaire buses.  Having so few stops really does make a difference!

The great problem with the current 402 Quickline is that it ends at Ranchester.  It is frankly difficult with the 2 Bellaire's current base frequency combined with car traffic to arrange a trip whereby I get via Quickline to near where I want to go and make a quick connection to the 2 Bellaire to get me the rest of the way.  Many times, I think, walking the rest of the way would be faster unless that perfect connection with the 2 Bellaire could be made.


No comments:

Post a Comment