Friday, May 30, 2014

Bus connections beyond the dreams of avarice

I sing in the Houston Chamber Choir.  And during the entirety of its existence, our regular rehearsals have been at Christ Church Cathedral (Episcopal) in Downtown.  There was one exception: the 2006-2007 season during which the Cathedral's Latham Hall, in which our rehearsals are held, was completely renovated.  During this time, we rehearsed at Trinity Episcopal Church at the Ensemble/HCC Station.

It was a morning rehearsal at Trinity on the first Saturday of November 2006...  From my place in west Houston, I catch the 82 Westheimer as soon as I get to the bus stop.  Lo and behold, I hook right up to the 42 Holman heading east at Montrose.  I get off the bus at Trinity and go to rehearsal.

After rehearsal, I exit the church...and lo and behold!  A 42 Holman appears immediately, on which I make it to Westheimer and get off at Montrose and immediately connect with the 81 Westheimer Sharpstown...because I need to get a haircut at Hillcroft @ Richmond, and this is a God-given chance to do so.

Haircut done and meal eaten at an eatery next to the haircut place.  Time to head home...and I feel it in my bones...  The 25 Richmond Mission Bend was on its way -- and poof!  There it was right when I get to my stop!!

My perfect day of buses.

+ + +

About a month or two ago, I was riding the bus on a Friday or Saturday.  I do not remember the particulars of this except only three connections were made in this streak of good connections, and it involved getting on what may very well be for me my last ride on the 78 Alabama, getting on at Kirby or Buffalo Speedway and deciding to see how far west the bus would go.

I get off at Richmond and catch an immediate 25 Richmond.  I decide it would be a brilliant chance to get a haircut at my place (because getting there is a pain for me, otherwise).  Haircut done, I catch an immediate 25 Richmond Mission Bend bus home.

In today's METRO network, connections like these come less often than a blue moon.  With System Re-imagining, your perfect day of buses is coming!

1 comment: